Tuesday, 26 February 2013

Script Draft 4


INT. CLASSROOM – DAY

ARTHUR, SEBASTIAN and ROXIE look over the evidence to this point. ROXIE is standing to the side checking her phone; she looks unimpressed and vaguely disinterested. Sebastian and Arthur stand over the table, looking desperately at the evidence.

SEBASTIAN
            Have we got any idea who’s been behind it all
this time? At all?

Arthur sighs and shuffles the notes around on the desk.

ARTHUR
Not as such…

There is an uncomfortable silence between the two.

SEBASTIAN
Let’s just go over it again…

Arthur groans but satisfies Sebastian regardless.

MONTAGE OF VARIOUS SCENES FROM OTHER EPISODES

MONTAGE OF SCENES FROM FIRST EPISODE

ARTHUR  V.O.
The first theft was the necklace.
That’s what started this all.

Shot of the necklace around the teacher’s neck.

ARTHUR V.O. CONT’D
The culprit was Laura, strange girl, questionable family life.

Montage of Laura and her behavior around college

ARTHUR V.O. CONT’D
Caught because she was actually wearing the goods while at college.

Montage of Laura wearing the necklace in class and being detained.

ARTHUR V.O.
Then we had Helen. She was a sorry case. Stole the coat.

Montage of coat on original owner and Helen.

ARTHUR V.O. CONT’D
Caught her when she was trying to stuff it into her bag. Left a lot of clues around college, I mean, tearing off the pin badges? Please.

Montage of Helen hurriedly shoving coat into bag and ripping off pin badges.

ARTHUR V.O. CONT’D
And then the wedding ring case. They started to get a bit smarter at this point.

Montage of wedding ring.

ARTHUR V.O. CONT’D
That was Liam. Another tricky case. Never really understood his motive.

Montage of Liam around college

ARTHUR V.O. CONT’D
He was a little harder to track down. He actually bothered to cover his tracks.

Montage of Liam getting caught

ARTHUR V.O. CONT’D
Then we had James. I knew he was bad news from the beginning.

Montage of James

ARTHUR V.O. CONT’D
He stole that games console. The small blue one.

Montage of games console and when it was stolen

ARTHUR V.O. CONT’D
He nearly got away. Nearly.

Montage of catching James.

ARTHUR V.O. CONT’D
Then there was Leanne and the concert tickets.

Montage of Leanne and concert tickets.

ARTHUR V.O. CONT’D
This one was the hardest. She managed to get the tickets home before anyone even noticed they were gone.

Montage of Leanne taking the tickets home

ARTHUR V.O. CONT’D
But we caught her, after a while. Got the tickets back. Then…

Montage of catching Leanne and then shot of mystical hand taking the tickets…

ARTHUR V.O. CONT’D
We know one person or persons is behind it all. Organizing them…

END OF FLASHBACKS

There is a pregnant pause. Roxie looks up from her phone at last.

SEBASTIAN
But we still don’t know who’s behind it all.

Arthur pushes his notes off the desk in frustration and leans on it breathing heavily.

EXT. COLLEGE COURTYARD – LUNCH

SEBASTIAN is waiting for ARTHUR, tapping his foot but otherwise patient. Arthur bursts through the doors, composing himself as he walks, and lets his eyes roll to Sebastian as he draws near.

SEBASTIAN
Arthur!

Arthur walks over to SEBASTIAN and sighs. Sebastian glances at Arthur's face before opening his mouth to say something, thinking better of it, and shutting it again.

ARTHUR
What, Sebastian?

SEBASTIAN
We haven't had a single clue as to who is really behind this...

Arthur stays silent, watching SEBASTIAN.

SEBASTIAN
What if we never catch them, Arthur? What if they're too clever for us? Don't look at me like that, it's possible!

Arthur shakes his head disapprovingly as ROXIE walks in, abnormally pleased to see them, as always.

ROXIE
Seb! Arthur!

Arthur again rolls his eyes. Sebastian looks genuinely pleased.

SEBASTIAN
Roxie!

Roxie enthusiastically sits down next to them, even more so than before. She's being overly nice, obviously so.

SEBASTIAN
You alright, Roxie?

ROXIE
Yep! Perfectly fine, thank you! How're you, Seb?

SEBASTIAN
Oh, I'm-

ARTHUR
Busy. We're busy. We have a thief to catch.

Arthur gets up and leaves, Sebastian shrugs at ROXIE then leaves as well. Roxie lingers for a moment before following herself.

INT. LARGE CLASSROOM - 12:40

LARGE CLASSROOM with computers around the edge, horse-shoe arranged desks. ARTHUR has pictures set out to one end; he's standing over them, looking determined. SEBASTIAN is stood nearby, looking vaguely confused.   ROXIE leans by the door, checking her phone and occasionally glancing at Sebastian.

Arthur sighs loudly and looks up at Sebastian. You can’t see Arthur’s face, but you can hear him muttering something to Sebastian. Sebastian looks shocked, disbelieving, and glances slightly at Roxie. Roxie looks up, confused.

Roxie starts walking toward Arthur and Sebastian. Hearing snippets of the conversation, Roxie is looking more and more worried about what they’re talking about. The conversation suddenly ends just as she comes into earshot, but she still hears

SEBASTIAN
No, it couldn’t be! They wouldn’t! They-

Arthur spins around and shuffles his papers away behind his back. He stands up and leaves, hitting Roxie with his shoulder as he passes.

ARTHUR
(half-hearted)
Sorry

Arthur leaves the room but Sebastian stays.

ROXIE
Seb? What was that all about?

SEBASTIAN
Don’t worry about it, Roxie. It’s just a lead.

Sebastian leaves, Roxie sits on the desk and sighs audibly.

INT. BUSY CORRIDOR – 13:14

Sounds from any students bustling about, each on with a destination in mind except one. MRS BEED is standing in the crowd, unmoving. She glances at the clock.

Clock shows time of 1:15 pm

MRS BEED stands back to her original position, staring fixatedly at the door. No one comes through the door until the clock ticks over 1:15 pm.

Suddenly, ARTHUR and SEBASTIAN burst through the door, Sebastian laughing at something Arthur has said while Arthur’s mouth is curling upward more than usual.

MRS BEED
Arthur! Sebastian! A word, if you please!

Sebastian looks apprehensively at Arthur but Arthur just sets his features then walks up to Mrs Beed.

ARTHUR
Yes?

Mrs Beed peers at Arthur and Sebastian for a moment, as if trying to read their minds.

MRS BEED
You haven’t been… up to anything since I’ve given you free-rule of the classrooms, have you?

Sebastian blushes but the comment doesn’t seem to faze Arthur

ARTHUR
Nothing other than what you authorized me to do, Mrs Been, I assure you.

(pause)

ARTHUR (CONT’D)
Speaking of which, we’ve made an interesting development since I last updated you.

All three lean in together to allow Arthur to speak with some privacy.

At that very moment Roxie bursts through a gang of students and almost sends Arthur flying in her haste to get in on the action.

ARTHUR
I shall tell you later.

Arthur leaves with his usual extravagance and Sebastian trails behind, followed by Roxie who is frustrated at not being able to speak.

INT. EMPTY CORRIDOR – 14:58

THIEF rushes around a corner. They are dressed all in black, hood up, running at full pelt. You can’t see their face in the short time you can see them on screen. ARTHUR rushes around the corner in obvious pursuit. His coat is splaying out behind him.

The Thief has a wallet clasped in their hand, and as they go through a doorway, attempts to slam a door in Arthur’s face. Arthur pushes through regardless, concentration showing on his face.

The Thief slams into a student, pushing him into Arthur’s way as they continue to run down the corridors.

A rumbling is heard from the classrooms and Arthur quickly checks his watch; class was about to end. This only increases Arthur’s determination to catch the Thief and he shows no signs of slowing down.

Suddenly, students burst from the classrooms around them, blocking the Thief temporarily from sight. Arthur pushes students out of the way as he narrows the Thief’s lead, and shouts of discontent follow them down the corridor. The Thief becomes more frantic as they realize Arthur is catching up.

SEBASTIAN leaves his History class and is nearly knocked down by the Thief

SEBASTIAN
[shocked]
What?

Sebastian is then pushed out of the way by Arthur

SEBASTIAN
[shocked, flustered]
Arthur, what?

Sebastian then joins the chase, thought he is obviously confused. He trails somewhat behind Arthur and apologizes to the students being pushed out of the way.

The chase continues toward the staircase. Teachers and students alike are now following in tow, though there is obvious confusion as to what is going on. Sebastian is behi9nd, attempting to explain that he has no idea what is going on to some teacher, but is trying harder to keep up with Arthur.

Sweat trickles down Arthur’s face as the Thief crashes through the door to the stairwell.

INT. STAIRWELL – 15:01

As soon as the door to the stairwell swings shut, Arthur bursts through, closely followed by Sebastian and a group of teachers and students.

The Thief is running erratically and stumbles, falling down the stairs. The Thief shouts out in pain, and the shout is definitely female. Arthur stops at the top of the stairs, soon joined by Sebastian, and waits as the Thief finishes tumbling.

There is a moment of silence as the Thief lies on the landing. Arthur skips down the stairs and carefully removes the wallet from their hand. He throws it up to Sebastian who clumsily catches it. Arthur reaches into an inside pocket of the hoody and pulls out the concert tickets. He pockets them before pausing, as if thinking about what to do.

Arthur begins making his way up the stairs, but as he leaves quickly pulls the hood of the Thief down. Under the hood is ROXIE, trying to hide her face.

Arthur continues up the stairs, steely determination on his face. Sebastian looks shocked and disgusted.

INT. CLASSROOM – 16:08

ROXIE is sat there, there is a TEACHER by the door.

ROXIE
I want to talk to Arthur and Sebastian! Please! I need to explain!

TEACHER
You are in no place to be making demands!

ARTHUR and SEBASTIAN enter, Arthur is, as usual, devoid of much emotion. Sebastian looks betrayed.

ROXIE
Look, Seb, let me explain!
SEBASTIAN
You don’t need to. Arthur already has.

Roxie looks disgruntled upon hearing this.

ARTHUR
Yes, Roxie. I explained to Sebastian that you did this because you never got the attention you wanted. Not from your parents, not from your teachers and especially not from your peers. You saw me, the genius that I am, getting recognition and attention, and you were jealous. You are far more perfect than me. Not just clever, but also charismatic, witty and likeable. So you latched onto me, thinking if you could outsmart me, maybe you’d get the credit you deserve. But there is one thing I don’t understand… you knew that to outsmart me was not to get caught, yet you still expected credit? You’re a smart girl, Roxie…

Roxie looks at Arthur in disbelief then sighs.

ROXIE
You wouldn’t understand, Arthur. I did it for a reason I’ve come to think beyond your scope of knowledge. I didn’t do it for your attention, or the attention of my friends, or teachers, or parents. I don’t care about them! I only care about…

Roxie looks at Sebastian. Arthur looks shocked, Sebastian just looks at his feet.

ROXIE
Seb, listen to me, please, Sebastian!

Sebastian refuses to look at Roxie, but she goes on anyway.

ROXIE
Sebastian, just listen to me. I thought that, if I outsmarted Arthur, maybe you wouldn’t think he was so invincible… so amazing, and maybe you’d pay attention to me. He can be outsmarted, I know he can. Look, Seb, please, I did it for you!

Sebastian just looks at the ground. Arthur is a little dumbfounded.

SEBASTIAN
[quietly]
Did you really think that would work, Rox? Really?

ARTHUR
You… You did it for him? But, I don’t understand…

ROXIE
You never do, Arthur! You don’t understand emotion - that much I’ve gathered. Do you even feel real emotions, Arthur? Truly? Or are you just… just all logic, like… like what? A machine? You certainly don’t act with any compassion. Did you never question the motives of the people I hired? Did you?

Arthur is a little dumbfounded, shocked into silence by her words.

ROXIE
Helen, for example! I promised her that I would see to it she would get the attention of her crush if she did what I asked!

The Teacher pays closer attention to this.

ROXIE
Laura, another fine example! She didn’t do it for her own personal gain, not at all! She did it because her brother desperately needed pain relief – strong pain relief – that the doctors couldn’t give him because they didn’t know the cause. I promised her that if she did what she did for me, I could provide that. If she didn’t get caught, that is.

ROXIE (CONT’D)
Liam did it because I promised him that I could convince his parents that he could have a dog, Charlie so that her sister could go to a concert he wanted to see more than anything, Amy so that I would withdraw my copy of her work so her work wouldn’t be disqualified… All of these people, all of them, their motive was something quite different to what you thought, Arthur!

ROXIE (CONT’D)
But you don’t care about that, do you? You just care about getting your man, sealing your victory, catching the bad guy…

Arthur stays silent. He seems to have lost his steam. Sebastian is looking from one to the other, assessing the situation.

ROXIE
You know what, Arthur? You really aren’t that good at this detective rubbish you pretend to be an expert at. Without me, without Seb, you would be nothing. Nothing at all. You realize that… don’t you?

Arthur is silent, examining his feet. Roxie laughs to herself, hysterical.

ROXIE
You do! You realize all this! You’ve known for a while… Not from the start, that’s for sure, but for a while. Then… why haven’t you tried to prove yourself wrong? Come on, Arthur. Every time you find a limit, you push it until it breaks. It’s how you live. I think it gives you a buzz, to push yourself until you break. So… why not now?

Arthur glances slightly up at Sebastian. When this happens, Roxie laughs but Sebastian smiles, just a little.

ROXIE
Haha, no, Arthur. Just no. You don’t understand emotion! You’ll never get anywhere!

ARTHUR
You don’t understand me.

Arthur leaves in a huff, Sebastian stays for just a moment.

SEBASTIAN
I’m disappointed in you, Rox. I had such high hopes.

Sebastian turns to leave.

ROXIE
Seb, Seb no! Sebastian!

Sebastian leaves and Roxie rests her head on the table in despair.

INT. CORRDIDOR – 16:29

SEBASTIAN waits outside ARTHUR’s maths class patiently. Arthur comes out and they begin walking down the corridor. They walk in silence, neither looking at the other until they are nearly at the door.

 SEBASTIAN
Arthur?

ARTHUR
Yes?

SEBASTIAN
Can we ever trust her again? Roxie? After… after this?

ARTHUR
I never trusted her to begin with. She’s not the sort of person you can trust. She’s too attention seeking.

ARTHUR starts to ramble on. SEBASTIAN is obviously trying to work up the courage to say something.

SEBASTIAN
[blurts out]
I don’t agree with what she said!

ARTHUR and SEBASTIAN stop walking and there is a stunned silence for a moment.

SEBASTIAN
[fumbling]
I mean, about you not understanding emotion! I don’t mean about you being right or something! I meant that I think you do understand it, you do, you just don’t like it or something like that! I’m sorry Arthur I didn’t mean to cause offence I mean I was just trying to say…

Arthur sighs and continues walking, a smile slowly creeping onto his face. Sebastian follows. As they walk through the door into the outside world, Arthur slips his hand into Sebastian’s.

Fade to black.

END

No comments:

Post a Comment